You know that feeling of being lonely in a room full of people.
I am currently sat in soft play with my children happily off making friends.
Don’t get me wrong I’ve a great group of friends. But wouldn’t it be nice to have the inhibition of a child again. And go off exploring & making friends.
I’m mostly fine taking my children to places on my own, But sometimes just sometimes I need another adult human to talk to.
Someone who isn’t going to demand juice and need me to take them to the toilet.
My friends have helped me through some tough times and I hope I have them!
I’m sure there will be more tough times in our lives too but at least we will have each other for support.
How do mummies / Daddies make friends?
Well I met mine through a Sure Start centre – I joined every session especially the craft sessions.
One craft group turned more into a kind of therapy session I ended up bonding with a couple of other mummies who are now two of my best friends!
We eventually introduced our husbands who also now are good friends.
We often spend time together as a group!
- Look up baby/ toddler groups
Get out there you could try a story session at a library, a baby group at your local church or local toddler coffee mornings –
When you have found them
- Get out there.
Your not going to meet anyone sat at home! You need to take those first steps. I know how hard it is to get out of the door with a little one, I have twins but it helped me to have somewhere to go.
Well done you have taken your first step.
- Strike up a conversation or join one that’s already happening if it’s not too personal and is relevant.
So you get there and there are several parents milling around you put your little one down to play and grab your cuppa, there are a couple of ladies talking about how their little one woke them, did you have a bad night too? Could you offer advise or just be a listening ear?
- School age children? – Check out school coffee mornings Again you need to strike up a conversation What about asking a little more about the summer fair, The school trip, anything that is relevant to you and your child!
- Volunteer – Often there are openings for volunteers on Parent Fundraising Groups so while the children are at school you could even run the coffee mornings!
- There are sites out there that you can connect with other parents. In forums and chat rooms – Please remember safety first when connecting with people online
I hope you have found these tips useful.
Now what are you waiting for?
Get out there it could be one of the best things you do!
Thanks girls for supporting me through some tough times!
Love ya! x